Sunday, December 11, 2016

Social media are changing who we are

"Our body is physiologically rewarding us for talking about ourselves online" Moffit and Brown, ASAPScience video (below)


[youtube]https://youtu.be/HffWFd_6bJ0[/youtube]


It is clear from the research behind this video, that using social media not only changes what we do, but also who we biologically are. Most people in one study regularly experienced Phantom Vibration Syndrome. Being online all the time can have serious consequences. How long before smartphones get statutory health warnings?

I have been talking this week with two CoETaIL colleagues about the guidelines for using social media which our schools need but don't yet have. Our project was structured around four face-to-face skype calls over 12 days during which we evolved a process; set ourselves homework; tweaked our plans; and got to know each other. I have met Stephen briefly before in real life, but I've never met Valerie. It is appropriate that a social medium has been one of the crucial elements in our project.

"We would like to collaborate in a process to gather information and ideas to help each of our schools arrive at some guidelines for teacher and student use of social media." (Valerie, Stephen and Steve)


survey_narrow-2Our process is woven from a few strands:

  1. We each conducted an investigation in our school, wishing to know how their different cultures would influence the process of drawing up social media guidelines. I received 99 responses to my survey (see right). The anonymous findings are collated in a document. We then read each other's summaries, commented and asked questions. It's not only a document but a rich conversation.

  2. Early in the project we read "How to create social media guidelines for your school" (Anderson). It gave us a starting point for our fruitful discussion and suggested a possible process we have elaborated into our roadmap to social media guidelines which reflects the common understanding collaboration has led us to. We intend to present the document at each of our schools as a proposal for a way forward. It is embedded on my CoETaIL projects page.

  3. Research into the solutions which other institutions, both educational and secular, have drawn up to support their individual circumstances. This included a pertinent exchange with John Mikton.

  4. Frequent back and forth between us; not only the skype conversation, but also dozens of emails.


When that is all done, and this blogpost is finished, I will have completed CoETaIL Course 2. It has been a rewarding experience, not least the current collaboration with colleagues who, although we work in different countries, are nevertheless similarly faced with teachers and students in need of guidance about social media. As I concluded in a blogpost I wrote elsewhere, collaboration can be really difficult. We all bring our ideas to the table which enrich the project, but we must equally abandon some of them. The reward is a more complete product than any individual could have made. That has definitely been the case with Stephen, Valerie and me - and it was painless too.

During Course 2, I have been immersed in ideas about what perpetual connection to the Internet might mean:

  • What will we do if the platforms to which we entrust so many of the stories of our lives do not live forever?

  • How do we properly advise our children about social media when, if we are honest, we do not know many of the answers ourselves?

  • What is the incentive to play fair about copyright when the chances of being caught are minimal?

  • Is it wise of us to accept, however knowingly, the Faustian bargain of Facebook?

  • What will be the long term effect of the digital contrail we are constantly leaving behind us?


These were the questions posed by my five blogposts during the course. I am certain that we do not definitively know the answer to any of them.

I greatly admire the performance artist Marina Abramović. You may have seen the film in which she sat in the MoMA in New York and met thousands of members of the public in silence, one-to-one, staring into their eyes, day after day. It's amazing to see.

She has a very clear view of the ways that we live our lives and how we can make changes which expose the assumptions we had taken to be facts. Speaking on the Note to Self podcast, she recommended:

"switch off your telephone... take a chair next to the window... and do absolutely nothing... What happens to all that energy that you have? You start thinking about the things you never have time to think about... you get into this state of peacefulness... three hours of your life" (Marina Abramović)


Is that really so extreme? I don't think so. We often spend three hours on activities a Martian would find strange. Sometimes, you can learn about the ubiquitous only when it is removed for a while.

So, following a couple of months in which I have spent a lot of productive time on CoETaIL, thinking about familiar things in new ways; learning to write regularly; making new friends, I have decided to call time on my life on the Internet. I don't know what it will be like, but my plan is to be completely off the grid for at least two weeks. I hope that, by cutting loose temporarily, I will gain an insight into what it means to be continually connected for the rest of the year.

"Christmas is supposed to be fun and you want to lash yourself on the back?" (my son on hearing my plans)


"We have to trust this gut feeling that we are completely f****d up with technology" (Marina Abramović in Huffington Post)


 

4 comments:

  1. Greetings Steve,

    Thank you for sharing so much information, while at the same time raising some really important questions. Questions, I agree, we don't have answers to...yet. First, off your group project with Valerie and Stephane tackled some big concerns. The point made in your discussion doc about the "blurs and concerns" is HUGE. Tough to establish guidelines when roles and lines are grey. I'm also concerned, like you, that the "dress code" paradox may prevail. Unfortunately, the issues around digital citizenship, copyright, privacy, etc. are much larger than the length of a skirt. What to do? I agree modeling by adults and educators has to play a big role, and I would hope that more peer modeling could come into play. Additionally, I think continued collaborating and the sharing of docs such as yours as well as the Edutopia/Facebook "How to", will help schools and institutions get moving on this topic. It's so fast we're already behind. On a related social media note, have you seen https://workplace.fb.com/?
    Finally, I believe in human contact and balance as well. I hope your tech sabbatical over the next few weeks is everything you're hoping for. See in you in Course 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken, I hadn't seen the workplace site from FB. I can imagine the teams I work within needing something like that - it might have been useful for the collaborative projects we have just done. Whether justifiably or otherwise, however, FB seems to have an even worse public profile than its competitors, at least from where I am sitting. We seem to trust them least of all the tech giants. As I said in another blogpost https://steveweatherell.coetail.com/2016/11/15/what-we-mean-when-we-talk-about-privacy/, we are not really in a position to criticise since we knowingly have entered into a Faustian bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] the Christmas vacation, as suggested in an earlier blogpost, I disconnected myself from the Internet. One of the effects was that I read more books than I […]

    ReplyDelete