Sunday, November 6, 2016

Digital contrails

[caption id="attachment_78" align="alignright" width="299"]digital-contrail-2 SW: freely modified from Pixabay images[/caption]

Last week I overheard a conversation between some students. They were discussing one of my colleagues. A student had found his Facebook profile, and via someone else who had tagged him in a photo, they had got to some pictures of a visit to a strip club. The teacher hadn't visited the club himself, but the association had been made in the students' minds. And they were telling their friends. Teachers are sometimes dismissive of their search skills, but do not underestimate students' tenacity when they are motivated.

Like many of my colleagues, I believe that schools are well-placed to help students to make the most of the digital world. Do we have the answers? No. The best we can do is to jump in and learn along with them.

So I had a look at my Facebook profile as the public sees it (it's only three clicks away) and apparently I changed my settings a year ago because that's when the visible posts dry up. Before that, anyone who is checking up on me will see that I had just met old friends in Barcelona (and someone mentioned alcohol in the comments); I was recommending a lot of movies and books (many with challenging content); and talking about my favourite music (some really unfashionable artists). Interesting to me, but boring to almost anyone else. But should I be so relaxed or must I worry that "someone could always dig it up and use it against you" lifehacker.com?

When we talk about our 'digital footprint', this is one of the fears we have: that we inadvertently reveal information which can harm us either by our own carelessness or by the oversharing of other people in our network. If you followed me around all day in the real world and caught snatches of my conversations with all of the people I meet, you would learn things about me I hadn't intended you to find out. Along that road lies paranoia, and one solution is to have little or no public online presence at all. But that's not for me. I would rather you saw me as a rounded (even fallible) human with diverse (sometimes messy) interests than a carefully curated brand.

[caption id="attachment_79" align="alignleft" width="491"]feed_info Firefox and Linux user from Greece. They didn't ask permission, they just took it.[/caption]

Your deliberate online presence is something you are in control of. But there is a much more pernicious element to the data-set that has been generated about you that makes me think not of a footprint but of the contrail left by an aircraft. You may think you've come to this blogpost anonymously, but the server has recorded when you came, where you are in the world, what browser and computer you're using, which webpage you last visited (yes! none of their business, I know, but it's all there in the server log and accessible to the owners of the site). Those widgets that count visitors know all those things about you because your treacherous devices have told them.

"Every time you "like" something, share something, tag yourself in a photo, or click on an article on Facebook, the site collects data on you ... They also track what device you used to log on, what other app you came from, other sites you've visited, and much more." Manoush Zomorodi, Note to Self podcast


Facebook does not make it too hard to confirm that they are reliant on our data. Explaining their cookies policy, we read that cookies help Facebook to serve ads; measure how often we click on them; and gain insights into our behaviour. I learned from Note to Self that I could see what Facebook has inferred are my preferences. Most of it was accurate, though I learned that they had identified interests in alabaster and anarchism. I keenly await that targeted ad.

But Facebook's knowledge about me is tiny compared with Big Brother Google. Again, it is easy to understand why Google is interested in my data. At myactivity.google.com, I see that today, on a number of devices, in 3 different countries, I accessed 170 pages which covered this blogpost, the news, some maps and the usual aimless surfing. You'd know a lot about me if you had access to that information every day. Furthermore, have you ever been to your Google Timeline? There is a calendar and I can relive any day in the last few years including a map of where I went that day and the photos I took. Here is their almost accurate world map of my recent years on earth (they logged my 2 US roadtrips but missed the Asian trip (thanks, China!)).

[caption id="attachment_76" align="aligncenter" width="525"]location_history Where Google thinks I've been in the last few years - mostly correct[/caption]

In his Theory of Everything podcast, Benjamen Walker observed that an ad which was "following me around on the Internet", stopped once he visited the shop and tried out the product. The thing is, it is easy to be paranoid when every day, like a jet-plane, we emit a billowing cloud of data which reveals our locations, our interests and our secrets. It is worth the while of organisations with astronomical means to recombine these scattered particles into the story of our journey though, sadly, most of their impressive effort only goes into making a bit more cash.

If we let our justifiable qualms force us into hiding behind Privacy Settings or into holding our tongue for fear of being too public, then we are the poorer for that. If we only communicate our fears to the students instead of our enthusiasm for the potential of humankind's great invention, then we fail as teachers. Whether we like it or not, our students do not have a choice about engaging in the online world, so we must make sure that we use the battery of skills we have as educators to show them how to leave a footprint that enriches their lives.

"That's kinda crazy. They don't know they gonna die one day and that stuff's still gonna be on the Internet? I wanna make something I gonna be proud of" rapper Danny Brown on the All Songs Considered podcast (at 21m 50s).


 

7 comments:

  1. This is pretty scary. myactivity.google.com is fascinating and unnerving at the same time.... this needs to be taught as a basic to all students... and TEACHERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Steve this exceptional post! I noticed that while you present the almost uncontrolled direct access and use of our private data by web companies, you also remind us about our role as educators to help students be aware of this and build their own positive online. This is the whole challenge we are facing I guess: being able to develop this critical thinking and awareness of how the Internet underground really works without dissuading students to use this great tool in a purposeful, collaborative and meaningful way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stéphane. Most of all we need teachers who demonstrate positive attitudes to social media when the challenges and fears are real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a great post Steve.

    It was really interesting read and incredibly useful for someone like me who really has no good idea of my own Internet privacy.

    I was especially interested in the Google activity searches and am amazed to see just how much of my daily Internet use shows up on Google - particularly when I am unaware that I am using Google.

    That is a great story from Ben Walker!

    I couldn't agree more with your final thoughts - we must ensure that we educate our children in how they engage in the online world and scaring them is not the correct approach. The 'scare them straight' approach to anything has been proven to be completely ineffective in all realms of life.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Dan. Yes, all those people doing all those searches and every day and the Internet remembers it all. The scale of what that looks like is inconceivable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve,

    I always love reading your posts. You also put my own digital footprint and thoughts about it into rather harsh perspective with the tracking google and online activity.

    I really appreciate the time and links and ideas you put into this post and how it challenged my own understanding.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Laura. I'm loving CoETaIL for the way gets me to research and think about the things I have been taking for granted. There are always two sides: sure modern tech is amazing, but in our enthusiasm, we have let it take some unwelcome forms.

    ReplyDelete