Saturday, January 31, 2015

Does Google know where you are? No?

In case I forget what I did last Wednesday, Google remembers
We don't always realise what we are agreeing to when we check boxes in our apps. If a web service asks you 'Remember your location?', don't expect it to forget a convenient time later. Google, to take an example, has something called Location History. It's not a secret, but nor do they advertise the fact like you might think.

If you have chosen to let Google know your location, and there all sorts of legitimate reasons, like finding your way using Google Earth or Maps, it will have kept that record. Have a look here.  If you have more than one login, check each one individually (my school Google doesn't track me, my personal one does, when I let it). In retrospect, you can think 'of course they know that' but it can come as an unwelcome reminder that the Net doesn't suffer from the amnesia we humans are prone to.


As the map above reveals, I was at school last Wednesday. At least, with my aging phone, they weren't spot-on with the precise location, but I can see when I visited Hillside or Lower School TO THE SECOND.

The good news is if you don't like it you can erase the past or switch it off into the future. The option is right there on the same page as the map and calendar (see left).

It is a matter of personal taste whether you like this or not. Google (or Apple, or your GPS) is only remembering what you have told it, after all. The important thing is to know what you are sharing and the consequences of keeping it or erasing this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment