Sunday, June 5, 2016

Collaboration, real collaboration, is hard to do!

Happy collaborators
Collaboration is a word with an unusual history. From the original 'collaborateurs' in the Napoleonic wars who were smugglers assisting the Monarchists; via 'traitorous cooperation with the enemy' (OED) in Vichy France; to our present concept commonly used in education to describe the desirable cooperation between peers. Viewed neutrally, it simply means 'working together' and what's not to like about that?

Ah yes, collaboration! We're a cooperative species, right? Well, like many things in life, real collaboration is easy to say and difficult to do for real. I mean really hard. Like many schools, ours uses that particular C-word a lot. And it's a worthy goal. Most times, when I have listened to the ideas of others and worked them into my plans, the result has been something I wouldn't have achieved on my own. But it can be painful. You mean my idea (which I'm completely in love with) isn't going to work (in your opinion)? I thought we were sorted (with my idea central) - we're going to have to do some more work and throw some stuff away (my stuff)?

Two decades ago, at a young international school, I came up with a fail-safe plan to solve a discipline problem we were experiencing. I wrote a hierarchy of infractions and consequences which only required consistent application by all staff and our problem would be solved. I spent hours working out my idea and presented it to the colleagues. The meeting was very messy. They said it wouldn't work. I suspected resentment and fought back, but I got no support and the discussion evolved into a dismantling of my scheme and the acceptance of a less draconian proposal. It hurt. But it didn't take long for me to be grateful that I was saved from disaster because people cared enough to make me give up my proposal at the cost of a bruised ego.

Fine words butter no parsnips, as they say in England
Collaboration demands denial from both sides. And it requires us to spend time when we feel we could knock out a good solution quicker on our own. I have spent too much time in lovey-dovey meetings agreeing to cooperate. But I have come to realise that talk is the easy part and the warmth we all feel when we agree to collaborate (before we actually do) is a false friend. The hard work is still in the future and everyone is going to have to give up something they cherish. The reward, if we can get through the humbling, is a better solution than either side would have achieved on its own. And that is really worth giving up something for.


Collaborators image: actri.fr
Parsnip image: healtheatingfood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment